Is Sour Cream Keto?
Is sour cream keto? Yes, it is in moderation. There are some amazing benefits of eating sour cream. But there are also some cons to eating it as well. The key is to know which foods have these ingredients in them so that you can make the right choices.
In general, most people will not be able to eat sour cream if they are on a keto diet. This is because sour cream high in carbohydrates. Sour Cream contains 4.63g of net carbs per 100g serving, so you need to be careful of your serving size.
Sour cream is made from cultured cream. It contains lactic acid bacteria like from yogurt but in much smaller quantities and with a different flavor profile. This article goes into more details about what exactly sour cream is and its nutritional value so you can decide whether or not it fits into your keto diet plan.
What is the Nutritional Value of Sour Cream?
When you eat sour cream, the main macronutrient you will take in is fat. This is because sour cream is primarily made up of fat. The fat content in sour cream is around 48%. Sour cream also contains a small amount of protein. The amount of protein you will get per serving of a spoonful of sour cream is around 1 gram.
The amount of carbohydrates you will get per serving of a spoonful of sour cream is around 1 gram. Sour cream is a very good source of Vitamin D and Vitamin B12. It also has many minerals in it like Potassium, Calcium, and Phosphorus.
Sour cream also has some vitamins in it like Vitamin A and Vitamin E. Sour cream has a high amount of saturated fat. This can increase your LDL cholesterol and risk of heart disease if you consume it in large amounts, so again eating it in moderation is key.
Benefits of Eating Sour Cream
Some of the benefits of eating sour cream include:
– Sour Cream Can Help You Maintain a Healthy Gut Microbiome: Sour cream contains probiotics which are very important in maintaining a healthy gut microbiome. A healthy gut microbiome can help improve your digestion and nutrient absorption.
– Sour Cream Can Help Improve Your Immunity: Sour cream contains Vitamin D which is important in boosting your immunity and preventing diseases like colds and coughs. Vitamin D can also help in regulating your metabolism.
– Sour Cream Can Help Improve Your Mood: Sour cream contains Vitamin B12 which is very important in regulating your mood and preventing depression.
– Sour Cream Can Help Prevent Cardiovascular Disease: Sour cream contains Potassium, Calcium, and Phosphorus which are very important in preventing cardiovascular disease.
– Sour Cream Contains Fewer Calories than Full Fat Cream: When you eat sour cream, you will consume a small amount of calories. Sour cream has 39% less calories than full fat cream.
Disadvantages of Eating Sour Cream
There are some disadvantages of eating sour cream:
– Sour Cream Is High in Saturated Fat – Sour cream is high in saturated fat. Consuming large amounts of saturated fat can increase your LDL cholesterol and risk of heart disease.
– Sour Cream Is Low in Healthy Fats – Sour cream is also low in healthy fats like Polyunsaturated Fat and Monounsaturated Fat. Consuming low amounts of healthy fats can also increase your risk of heart disease.
– Sour Cream Can Contain Artificial Ingredients – Sour cream can also contain artificial ingredients like preservatives, artificial sweeteners, and added colors. Make sure you use organic sour cream.
– Sour Cream Can Contain High Amounts of Calories – Sour cream can contain high amounts of calories due to its high fat content. Consuming large amounts of calories that you don’t need can cause weight gain and obesity.
Avoid These Foods With Sour Cream
There are a few foods you should avoid when eating sour cream. These include:
– Sour Cream Can Be High in Carbs – Sour cream is high in carbohydrates. This can negatively impact your ketone levels and prevent you from entering ketosis.
– Sour Cream Can Be High in Sugar – Sour cream is also high in sugar. This can affect your blood sugar levels and prevent you from entering ketosis.
– Sour Cream Can Be High in Calories – Sour cream is high in calories. This can cause weight gain if you consume large amounts of it.
– Sour Cream Can Be Low in Protein – Sour cream is low in protein. This can negatively affect your muscle growth and prevent your body from repairing itself after exercise.
– Sour Cream Can Contain Artificial Ingredients – Sour cream can contain artificial ingredients like preservatives, artificial sweeteners, and added colors.
By now, you should have a good idea of what sour cream is and the benefits and disadvantages of eating it. Sour cream is primarily made up of fats. It has a small amount of protein and carbohydrates in it as well. Sour cream is high in calories and can be high in sugar, carbohydrates, and fat. It is best to limit your intake of sour cream and stick to low carb and low sugar alternatives to sour cream if you are on a keto diet.
How to Make Probiotic Homemade Sour Cream (Video)
Take a spoonful of live dairy culture.
It should not be pasteurized but it should say that it has live culture or homemade.
Add some heavy cream to it and set it in a warm place to ferment.
You can cover the bottle with a warm cloth to keep it cozy.
Your sour cream will be ready within 8 -12 hrs.
After that you can store it in the fridge for the next 5 days while you consume it.